12.12.2005

Like Mother Used to Make

So, I was actually instructed to make paper snowflakes for my office by my boss (this must fall into "other duties as assigned") and I diligently began folding six sided triangles of paper and cutting away bits and pieces to form snowflakes. After about four of them I realized something troubling: none of them looked as cool as the snowflakes my mother makes. This got me thinking about how the creative daughter of a successful snowflake maker was having unsuccessful attempts at making snowflakes and I think I have a reason. Math. I'm no good at math. My Mom is a frickin' genius in the math category and I think that has something to do with her ability to design them in her head, see them on the empty triangle and bring them into the world, perfect and desireable.

I'm gonna have to go get lessons again.



Update:
So I saw my mother last night and get this, she not only gave me a goodly sampling of fine little snowflakes (see below), she also gave me a snowflake starter kit, including dozens of prefolded snowflakes in various sizes, just waiting to be born. And I think I can finagle a few more lessons in flakeology. It's good to be daughter!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Making snowflakes could be under the category for Marketing. If your offices are lovely looking, than your services are more marketable. :)

12/12/05 18:35  
Blogger Steve DeGroof said...

You probably just need some practice.

12/12/05 20:04  
Blogger "Honestus" - Raymond Charles said...

besides your mother's snowflakes, of course, this is probably the best i've ever seen.

http://snowflakes.lookandfeel.com/

13/12/05 10:42  
Blogger "Honestus" - Raymond Charles said...

so i guess the old adage is true, 'mother knows best" - happy snowflake making.

14/12/05 13:10  
Blogger Steve DeGroof said...

You weren't kidding. Your mom's a paper snowflake diva.

15/12/05 10:21  
Blogger k_sra said...

She'll be glad to hear you say that, Steve. : )

argek: the corner you get your scissors stuck in when cutting a sharp angle in a snowflake

15/12/05 10:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed! Thanks, Steve. And thank you, Sarah for this little moment in the spotlight. We snowflake artistes are so largely unsung...

15/12/05 13:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters