6.06.2007

What the World Eats

I am fascinated by this photo essay from time.com on What the World Eats.

In fact, I was riveted by one family in particular; the Batsuuri family. First of all, I didn't see how they could spend so little and get so much, and of more interest to my Western eye was their dress and accomodations.

Mongolia: The Batsuuri family of Ulaanbaatar
Food expenditure for one week: 41,985.85 togrogs or $40.02
Family recipe: Mutton dumplings

And so I began to wonder where this place "Ulaanbaatar" was. So I looked it up. Ulaanbaatar is the capital city of Mongolia. And if you knew that then you might also know that Ulan Batar means "red hero," in honor of Mongolia's national hero Damdin Sükhbaatar. (He liberated Mongolia from Ungern von Sternberg's troops, Chinese rule, and called in the Soviet Red Army. His statue still adorns Ulan Bator's central square.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters