10.11.2004

The Cautious Thrill-Seeker

Learned something new about myself: I'm an HSP. That's right. Scored pretty high on that test, I did. Apparently, I have a high capacity for taking in details. Oh and I have a rich inner life. On the downside, it also makes me more cautious and more easily overwhelmed by change and new things. Spiffy.

On the other hand, I'm also an HSS (scroll halfway down page to read blurb). So while I am careful about what I get into and get stressed out easily, I also crave excitement and new sensations...

Duh. It's like having the gas and the brakes on my life at all times. No wonder I burn so much rubber to get not very far.

I remember one time in Canada I dropped my dad at class and then drove the car home with the parking brake on. Couldn't figure out why the car was driving funny. Noticed it of course, when I tried to park the car and the brake was up. But I guess that pretty clearly explains the way I operate most of the time. It's kind of sad, if you think about it, but at least I don't feel quite so bad for not accomplishing all those things I told myself I should have done by now.

I used to say, "Nobody likes a cautious thrill-seeker." Now I am one.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Worldgineer said...

I scored a 9, meaning I'm not highly sensitive. This will not surprise my wife.

11/10/04 15:32  
Blogger k_sra said...

World: HAHA! (sorry)

And spizz, you're right in the middle. You may or may not be defined as "HSP", but most musicians need to be sensitive or they don't produce good music. So put that in your piggy bank and smoke it!

11/10/04 15:45  
Blogger El Fid said...

I only squeezed an 11 out that juicy test. But smells is my arch-nemesis. Bad smell = action to eradicate bad smell. Milk smells sour to me a week before it expires. Folgers smells like bottom. And Escada pour homme costs some unlucky corporation a few man hours every once in awhile.

11/10/04 16:24  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

(sniff) now you've hurt my feelings.

11/10/04 16:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you, you Learner, so I give you books on HSP's. (And look at what you've done with them! I guess you just can't have nice things. ;) I am a 23 on that fucking list. If you love ME, you'll give me bubble wrap and get that bull out of here.

I am going to tattoo "You break it, you pay for it" over my heart. Quick! Bring the smelling salts! I feel faint...

11/10/04 17:23  
Blogger honest + popular said...

Hey, I am not now, nor have I ever been anonymous. You hear me? I got a name, you know.
(How'd that happen?)

11/10/04 17:25  
Blogger Lukas Abrhm said...

i scored a 7....does that mean i'm an insensative jerk?

12/10/04 00:09  
Blogger honest + popular said...

Joel, now you funny, too. (I'm glad you got over your sensitivity. Have you seen my lockbox? I meant to put the budget surplus into it... had it just a second ago... must've misplaced the damn thing.)

12/10/04 00:19  
Blogger honest + popular said...

I meant "input", of course, K. (Anonymous is soooo out of touch.)

L, how can you say such a thing? Maybe you just don't bruise easily...

12/10/04 06:37  
Blogger dag said...

I scored a 4. I think the test was rigged.

12/10/04 13:25  
Blogger k_sra said...

You're the warrior type, dag. Sensitivity would only impede you. The rest of us are intuitive advisor types. Need any intuitive advice?

12/10/04 13:33  
Blogger Lydia said...

21


Shhh! you're bothering me...

12/10/04 14:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters