10.19.2004

Word Drive

Give Generously

It seems that in this modern world, those who already have a full lexicon continuely amass more, while the word-deprived waste away on verbage such as "like" and "um."
This verbal disparity is a serious social problem and entirely unnecessary. If those who had 10,000 words or more in their vocabulary would donate fifty words to the verbless a great deal of suffering could be eradicated.

This Word Drive will help to collect unused words for needy lexicons in the area. If you have words you no longer need, please contribute.

Donations needed:

1) Gently used vernacular

2) Out of date slang words and phrases

3) Foreign words (in good condition)

4) Parts of speech you don't really understand

5) Big words that are gathering dust

6) Book, movie, song titles you would prefer never to speak of again

7) Onomatopoeium you no longer need

8) Other words

Your donation, which is (syn)tax deductible, could spell out a whole new lyphe for someone in need.

Thank you.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Worldgineer said...

I'll hand off one of my favorite engineering terms: Brake Specific Fuel Consumption, a measure of an engine's efficiency. It's the rate of fuel consumption divided by the rate of power production. I love it, but it needs a new home as I haven't used it since engineering school. I'd give you gundog angle, but I can't even find an exact definition anymore so perhaps it's best to let it die.

I'll also hand off the correct use of travesty. People seem to always use it as an exact replacement for tragedy, but it's not. I think this originally started with the phrase "a travesty of justice", meaning a false and debased immitation of justice, which might have been shortened to just "travesty" assuming others knew what you meant. But that's just a theory. Anyway, I don't use it often so you can have it.

19/10/04 14:02  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

(Worldgineer, seeing an almost empty donation box, continues to rifle though his cupboard)

Ah, looks like I have a few here in the Simpsons box. A dirigible is a steerable self-propelled airship. Ahoy hoy was Alexander Graham Bell's preferred way of answering the telephone.

20/10/04 16:17  
Blogger k_sra said...

Don't worry too much about it, World, this was my one and only [m-f-d] from the h'bakery. I just wanted to repost it here for old time's sake. : )

But I do think I know someone who could really use dirigible.

21/10/04 08:05  
Blogger chopper said...

These were my childhood favorites for playing hangman with unsuspecting adults; I've been holding on to them for a bit too long:

1) crwth2) syzygy

22/10/04 08:06  
Blogger Lukas Abrhm said...

how about nance? or flibberdeeflee? or skaddanks? or cold? how about jive turkey? or crackerjacks'n'cheese?

24/10/04 21:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters