2.24.2005

It's all your misfortune and none of my own

I got a fortune cookie recently which had the following to say: "Today is a lucky day for those who remain optimistic and cheerful." On the back it read: "But if you're a pessimist, it's gonna suck!"

No it didn't really say that on the back. You know I'm just joshing you. But I couldn't help drawing that conclusion as I put it up on my fridge under a brown and orange butterfly magnet which I acquired four years ago under cloudy circumstances.

Also on my fridge there is a postcard of a man and an elephant doing headstands together (here's a tiny picture of same). Very inspirational. It reminds me that doing headstands while being followed by an elephant could become very hazardous to your health.

I also have the complete Wegman Magnet collection. I'm not sure what function the dogs in dresses serve in my life (besides holding up bits of paper), but I rather like them. They help counterbalance the ugly butterflies. I tried to find you all a picture of them, but apparently they don't exist except on my fridge.

In case you haven't noticed, I am reciting an inventory of fridge decorations. This may seem like an odd thing to do, but in fact it makes total sense. I am at work and I wish I were at home standing in front of my fridge looking at the drawings and receipts and photos I have there. There is something calming about my fridge front (and side). It's like a living, breathing pulse. I look at that fridge to take my own emotional temperature. If it looks sunny and happy I feel better. If it looks cluttered or sagging, I feel a bit glum. Then I clean it up and rearrange the dogs until I feel better.

Today is a lucky day... because I choose to remain cheerful and optimistic. And actually, I am cheerful and optimistic. Ugly butterflies and all.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger dag said...

What color is your fridge? Mine are almond and black. Not by choice though, they came with the house.

24/2/05 14:27  
Blogger k_sra said...

Mine's white. You have two fridges? Do you cook a lot, dag?

24/2/05 14:59  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

I'd like to comment on "headstands", but Blogger won't let me. I have nothing to say about refrigerators, except mine is blank. And white. And contains some very nice beer and cider.

24/2/05 15:02  
Blogger k_sra said...

What did you wanna say about headstands?

24/2/05 16:08  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

Blogger healed, and I wrote it under the "headstands" blog entry.

24/2/05 17:27  
Blogger dag said...

Yup two fridges, well if you count the mini-fridge too, then I have three.

One I use for food, the other for beverages. My mini-fridge is in my study/den/office and is stocked with beverages and snacks so I don't have to get my lazy butt up to go to the other fridges.

I don't cook a lot myeslf, my maid prepares the main meals, plus she's a much better cook than myself and makes sure I get all the food groups.

28/2/05 10:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters