12.14.2005

Words I Don't Know: 'G'

I was feeling so smug what with knowing all the 'F' words from my pocket-sized dictionary and then I hit the 'G' section...


gaff: an iron hook used to land large fish
gamete: a reproductive cell (sigh, should've known it)
gasohol: a blend of ethanol and unleaded gas
gazateer: a geographic dictionary
gelid: icy cold; frozen
genera: plural of genus
gibbon: an ape with slender body and long arms
gibbous: humped, protuberant
glazier: one who cuts and fits window glass
glissade: a controled slide on ice or in ballet
gloze: to minimize; downplay
grackle: black bird with iridescent plumage (yes, graculus, that means you)
grandee: Spanish or Portuguese nobleman of the highest rank
gustatory: of the sense of taste

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger "Honestus" - Raymond Charles said...

just for curiosity sake... was 'gee-whiz' in there?

14/12/05 13:11  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

I glissaded 47 pound lumps of concrete on gelid water last weekend, looking a bit like a gibbous gibbon gaffer.

14/12/05 13:45  
Blogger k_sra said...

"Gee-whiz" hasn't made it yet, honestus, but keep hope; there's always next year.

14/12/05 13:52  
Blogger Drew said...

I hereby declare gloze to mean frozen glaze. As in: I left the donuts in the car and they're completely glozen!

14/12/05 17:21  
Blogger Prom said...

To gloze over? huh, I always thought it was gloss over. I knew all the other ones.

15/12/05 13:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters