8.18.2004

Find Your Classmates Online

High school friends. I have lost contact with them all. All. That's a lot of memories to not share anymore. I mean, you bond with these people over important life events, like slipping and falling on your way up to perform a song, or getting called "the wall" because you had no boobs as a thirteen year old. These are valued memories! And then for some reason you lose contact with these people the minute you turn in that cheap cap and gown. I personally have a quest to find one friend from high school: Tara W. I will find her before I die. Tara was my best friend. Or the closest thing to it. Ten inches shorter and two years older than me. We shared a lack of enthusiasm for tennis. We couldn't hit a tennis ball. No sir. Not if it were strapped to our racket. Then we took volleyball (also inept and we both bruised easily), folk dancing (since when is The Electric Slide a folk dance?), and swimming (so much chlorine you forget the urine!). I actually looked forward to those dumb classes.
And then there was the one slumber party I had my senior year. I was fifteen. Tara, myself and four other girls crowded into the attic and watched dumb movies. Everyone fell asleep during The Blob. Not me. I don't sleep during movies. Ever. So after the film, when I realized I was the only one awake, I quietly turned off the TV and played pranks on all the girls and went to sleep. Happier than I'd ever been.
She and I took voice lessons together. A group lesson where we would giggle and smirk while Jenny Somebody-or-other struggled up to a high A.
We were in Spanish class together. My "Spanish" name was Isobel. Hers was Carmen. Our teacher, SeƱor Smith, was a lonely bachelor. He always looked particularly sad near holidays.
And then of course there was our graduation where I squatted down to fit into the frame of several pictures taken of us together. I lost track of her after the ceremony since it was a triple graduation for my family: me, my brother and my sister, all freakishly graduating high school the same day despite being at least a year or three apart in age.
I tried hunting Tara down in the last ten years. Without success. She probably lives close by, married, with kids and yet I can't find her. Pretty soon I'll be clicking one of those dumb banner-ads for findyourclassmates.com and have to shell out the twenty bucks or whatever for this stalker site to look her up so I can call her and act like I just found her name in the phone book or through a mutual friend and then a "so, hey, how are things going and would you like to get together for coffee" type conversation will ensue.
Maybe Tara is internet savvy and will stumble across this post today and say, "Hey, I remember all that crap! I know that girl!" and write me a note and save me the twenty dollars. Maybe.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Worldgineer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

18/8/04 10:03  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

Grrr. I wish you could edit these things. Please change "Just ask Let us know how it goes." to just "Let us know how it goes." I was going to tell you to ask for the Administration department, but changed my mind as asking by name would work fine as well.

18/8/04 10:05  
Blogger k_sra said...

Wow. Thanks. I'll call her this afternoon.

18/8/04 10:07  
Blogger chopper said...

My Spanish name was Rogelio. And my "teacher" was Senor Diez, the Mexican country singer. I didn't learn a thing in his class, but it was worth it to hear him sing. "You pick' a fine time to leave me Lucille, with two hon-gry kids an' no crap in da field."

18/8/04 10:36  
Blogger El Fid said...

My Spanish name was Olga (Olgita for short).

18/8/04 11:21  
Blogger k_sra said...

Worldgineer, I deleted your first (very helpful) comment for my friend's sake. To respect her privacy, etc. But thank you thank you thank you for coming up with her number! : )

18/8/04 13:53  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

It's ok. Glad to be of service.

18/8/04 14:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters