6.01.2005

Come Back, Amelia!


I don't remember how old I was when I first read the Emelia Bedelia books. They were entertaining and charming even then. I have just reread a few. Not only is Wallace Tripp one of my favorite illustrators, Emelia Bedelia is on of my heroines. I did not fully appreciate until now how much of her style has filtered into my life. My teaching style, for instance: where you can do absolutely anything you want, but always confound expectation and if all else fails, baked goods will make everything right again. Thank goodness for heros!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger dag said...

Interesting how early reading has its influence. Mine was the Hardy Boys books.

In that picture, that woman looks to be carrying a tray of freshly baked Pillsbury Dough Boy heads.

1/6/05 09:17  
Blogger k_sra said...

Those are - according to the story - chocolate filled, cream puffs, fresh from the oven. Even though she's walking toward the house and not away. This is the book cover illustration from "Come Back Amelia Bedelia" the story in which Emelia is fired for incompetence and yet rehired for her winsome ways and more importantly, for her baked goods.

1/6/05 10:27  
Blogger Tara said...

Oh Amelia...the memories! I also used to read about an old woman who would invite children over who were brats and she changed them by teaching them lessons. Mrs. Pickwick or something like that. There was one story where the little girl's catch phrase was "I'll do it cuz I want to, not because you told me to." And that has stuck in my mind ever since.

1/6/05 10:35  
Blogger El Fid said...

Ah yes, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. I get to hear about her "cures" til I'm 'bout cross-eyed.
"Mom, how come you never do any cures like Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle?"
"Because I need my sanity for just a few more years."

1/6/05 22:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters