5.28.2005

A Nerd's Nerd

On my way downtown to watch an international film I happened to see a group of four men wearing red helmets and riding segways. They were reaching top speeds of 5 mph and would stop frequently to be admired or to praise their two-wheeled rides to strangers and passers-by. I smirked. How silly of them, I thought, to be wearing helmets and traveling in a pack of four. How much nerdier can you get?

Just then I realized that I was wearing a "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt on my way to watch House of Flying Daggers and Ang Bok. At the library. Alone.

I have this theory that everyone is a nerd in some area. We all have that thing that makes us a little too excited, talk a little too animatedly. Some subject about which we know a little too much. Even posers are nerds. The desire to always look hot and poserly is what makes them nerds.

Well. I have to get back downstairs to watch the second feature.

"Just tell them that if they vote for you all their wildest dreams will come true."

Because they will. Live long and prosper.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger El Fid said...

There are folks who are entirely not nerdy. There is no arena of life where they say too much, carry on too long or dive headlong into wasted hours exploring one favorite subject. These are vapid, polished drones who reflect back a perfect blend of all the finest that the media has to offer, in a symmetrically balanced fashion, each contribution to society completely interchangeable.

I was at a banquet facility last night where a prom was being held. In the ladies' room were 20 flawlessly gorgeous teens. Each one criticizing herself in turn at the mirror and then returning to the dance. Each girl was an exact replica in hairstyle, make-up and dress with the exception of colors. (It would be scandalous to wear the same color as another girl; what a copycat!)

To be "not nerdy," there must be an economy of interests in life. Stay focused on obedience to the masses; it's a full time job.

29/5/05 09:20  
Blogger Lukas Abrhm said...

how was ang bok? i enjoyed house of the flying daggers but i haven't been able to see ang bok yet...and rza, gza, ugod, inspectah deck, method man, redman, and the ghostfaced killa all said it was the bomb. (wu-tang, wu-tang)...just wonderingle.

29/5/05 10:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I didn't really care for House of Flying Daggers... I didn't appreciate the constant "Oh, hey, here's ANOTHER plot twist; now, enjoy this kung-fu love story cliche. Wait, we forgot--here's another plot twist, ignore what happened earlier in the film, we mean it this time," since it was a little too much. I guess that's what I get for watching too much kung fu when I was little.

How was Ang Bok? Anything endorsed by the big Wu has to be good.

29/5/05 13:27  
Blogger Tara said...

To my fellow nerds (and yes I admit that I'm a nerd in many ways):, admit that you are a nerd...come out of the nerd closet and scream it at the top of your lungs. To admit what and who you are is a character ASSET, not a FLAW! Now if you'll excuse me I have to go check on my Sims game and go watch another Desperate Housewives episode while wearing Scooby Doo pajamas.

29/5/05 19:30  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

One of my life goals is to be a nerd in every area. Though I admit it's a goal I'm a bit too excited about.

29/5/05 21:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ong Bak, shirley.

30/5/05 10:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I couldn't find it...
I knew the name sounded familiar.

30/5/05 13:26  
Blogger k_sra said...

Ong Bak? That explains the subtitles then. I enjoyed the heck out of it, for those who asked, despite the piercing whining nasality of the actors' voices. The Muay Thai is the best. And I must agree with friend gober, there werst far too many "plot twists/we're so in love moments" in ye olde house o daggers. By the end I was thinking, "Hury up and die already." Hmmm, come to think of it there weren't very many moments I truly enjoyed, except perhaps the government agents in the trees. That was nice.

31/5/05 14:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters