7.14.2005

Chicken Impossible













I seem to be running on some sort of an animal theme here. Be that as it may, I thought I would take another look into the legend of the Headless Chicken of Fruita, Colorado. I'd heard the story from my parents, world travelers that they are, and had a hard time believing it. Until I saw the pictures. Poor old Mike (who didn't earn himself a real name till he had no face to go with it) was decapitated for dinner one day. But he just wouldn't take the hint. He went on living for 18 months and Fruita (a town with apparently nothing else to recommend it other than this freak chicken) now celebrates Mike's Festival once a year down at the olde towne parke. The irony of course, is that they celebrate Mike's will to go on living by slaughtering countless chickens. C'est la vie.

The rest of the story

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt sorry for myself because I had no chicken sandwich, until I met a chicken that had no eyedropper.

14/7/05 13:08  
Blogger k_sra said...

Which is worse; to be without an eyedropper or to be without eyes?

I wish I had a chicken sandwich. I would call it Mike and take it on tour.

14/7/05 14:26  
Blogger El Fid said...

k, this reminds me, are you coming over for dinner?

14/7/05 14:38  
Blogger k_sra said...

I wish, but no.

14/7/05 14:49  
Blogger k_sra said...

Scratch that, fido, now I am coming over for dindin. See you there.

14/7/05 15:21  
Blogger dag said...

Is that its head lying in front of it on the top right pic?

14/7/05 16:36  
Blogger k_sra said...

Why I do believe it is. How gross. There is another picture of the owner holding his head just beside his neck to show how not attached it was.

15/7/05 07:50  
Blogger k_sra said...

I think they could have at least strapped a little fake head on him or something. A hat. Anything.

15/7/05 07:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard rumor that Mike was murdered to collect an insurance policy. If true, that seems kind of...chicken.

15/7/05 12:38  
Blogger k_sra said...

Yes. Murder most fowl.

15/7/05 13:23  
Blogger El Fid said...

teehee

15/7/05 14:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters