10.04.2005

White and Delightsome

Each time I descend into the the city turning in the air above the Great Salt Lake it gets worse. It's a kind of dread. A revulsion. A fear. It's culture shock, actually. I know what I'm in for and each time I fly into the city it gets harder to want to be there. I am lowered by plane into the very belly of the great white, clean, beast that is Mormonism.

It begins as the plane leaves from wherever it comes from before it reaches Salt Lake. On the flight there are a handful of clean, white business men talking about politics, work and their families. Their moral code is apparent in their speech and their cleanliness leaves a sickly sweetness in the air. They are: clean-shaven, carefully coiffed, dressed in upscale clothes and dazzlingly white.

Arriving is worse. The airport is like the two men on the plane only multiplied. All white, all clean, all living by the code of their secret society. Of course, there are also immigrants working at the airport and there are tourists leaving the city so it's not a complete white out.

But by the time I reach my hotel, two blocks from temple square, the transformation is complete. The only thing I see from my window over the street are small herds of white, blonde, church-dressed families. Mostly groups of seven or eight or twelve walking toward the tabernacle with smiles on their faces. All the males wearing black pants and white shirts. All the females in seemingly the same frumpy dress in pastel shades. And as they march along the upper way in the clean streets of Salt Lake, in the immaculate morning air, I shudder.

This is my own personal hell.

Everyone the same: Women like little dowdy stepford wives. The men like Agent Smiths. Each a perfect facsimile of the other. All perfectly, horrifyingly alike.

It was on this trip that the phrase white and delightsome first came to my ears. Not that the Mormons are racist or anything, but apparently if a person with skin darker than whey becomes Mormon they can someday hope to become "white and delightsome" like the rest of the pasty-faced crew when god decides to reverse the curse that is their blemished skin. Lovely.

Of course since 1981 the LDS church decided that "white" really just meant "pure" and all the scriptures were changed accordingly. Now it's ok to be a Mormon and also to be black. And you don't need god to change your skin color or anything for you to be truly blessed. Of course no white Mormon is gonna marry you either. But you understand.

I won't touch Polygamy and the Mormons in this rant, even though the practice is alive and well. (Ok, I will say this: It's officially "not condoned" anymore, but of course polygamy was the very cause of Joseph Smith's "martyrdom" and therefore a foundational tenant of the religion.) There is more than I want to discuss in this one post already.

Flying away from the city, I kept my eyes on that lake; big and dead and lovely. Three sides of the valley are surrounded by mountains all changing colors for the Fall. Such a beautiful place.
I was so glad to leave it.

Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's poor practice to paint any group with a broad brush, but I confess my experiences with the Mormons have pretty much like my experiences with the Republicans...You're either with them or against them...no room for discussion.

4/10/05 13:11  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

If you're ever bored in Salt Lake City, go to the planetarium. Before the star show they show a short film describing how SLC is in fact the center of the universe. One of the more surreal cities to visit, really.

4/10/05 14:05  
Blogger k_sra said...

Yes, norm, I agree it's a poor practice. But I don't mind decrying racism or mysogyny no matter how many people practice it.

4/10/05 14:15  
Blogger k_sra said...

Yes, SLC is the center of the universe and god lives on planet Kolob.

4/10/05 14:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not practice racism or misogony? What else is there to do in Utah? Ok, I guess you could ski.

I've tried to talk to several Mormons...they informed me that basically I was an ignorant heathen and until I saw things their way I would be naive. It must be comforting to be so certain.

4/10/05 15:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn typos and misspellingss...I must be an ignorant heathen!

4/10/05 15:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just pin your Star of David to your lapel before flying into town.

4/10/05 15:05  
Blogger Prom said...

I stayed one summer in a boat camp and helped out with raft trips on the Green and Yampa rivers.

We'd get Mormon leaders once a month or so going out on some sort of leadership retreat. Those old boys could curse like no one's business and they drank like fishes.

I guess they had to experience the evils in order to council their flock against them.

4/10/05 15:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Green River. I built a storage barn for a Jack Mormon on the Green River one summer. Jack Mormons are sort of like Mormon Lite.

4/10/05 15:54  
Blogger dag said...

I see few differences between portions of Salt Lake City and many other communities or subcommunities, here and abroad, who have little tolerance for others who are different, or practice different customs/religions.

4/10/05 16:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dag, that's one of the key selling points of organized religion...it allows you to look down on those that think differently than yourself.

4/10/05 16:15  
Blogger Lukas Abrhm said...

emma smith smart smart smart,
joseph smith, dumb dumb dumb.

4/10/05 19:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how ironic of you to say so, normzone.

5/10/05 00:25  
Blogger dag said...

Humanity is gracious, kind and loving and just wants the greater good of all to prevail.

Humans are greedy, stupid, self-serving assholes who do nothing more than further their own existence.

5/10/05 08:45  
Blogger dag said...

And whaddya got against Agent Smith anyway? He's been an inspiration...

5/10/05 08:51  
Blogger k_sra said...

(I secretly love agent smith. shh.)

5/10/05 09:25  
Blogger Tara said...

Dreamy!

5/10/05 10:41  
Blogger dag said...

Now that I think about it, you two do make an interesting couple.

5/10/05 11:49  
Blogger k_sra said...

What? No! Who have you been talking to? Heh heh... ahem

5/10/05 14:34  
Blogger dag said...

This got me thinking of a quote I read a while back.

"The distance is so great between how we live and how we ought to live that he who
abandons what is done for what ought to be done learns his ruin rather than then his preservation: because a man who wants to make a profession of goodness in everything is bound to come to ruin among so many who are not good" ...Machiavelli

6/10/05 10:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the Pope gets a call on the phone one day. He answers, says "Hello, Pope, how can I help you?". And this still, small voice on the other end says "Hello, Pope, this is G-d". Pope is completely shocked, starts shaking, says "Hello, G-d, what can I do for you?" The voice on the other end pauses for a minute then says "Pope, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that it's time to inaugurate my reign on earth". Pope is overwhelmed, he's like making frantic gestures to the Cardinals to pick up on the other line, then he realizes that G-d has been silent awhile, and says "So, G-d, what's the bad news?"
"I'm calling from Salt Lake City".

____________________

Seriously, it's an interesting religion. Been meaning to look at their texts for awhile. The temples are very beautiful in a bright, mysterious kind of way, especially the higher rooms.

I think the ineffable is potentially so frigtening, each religion attempts to include as much comforting, familiar elements as possible.

Unfortunately, in America, that can mean racism and economic elitism.

But the rooms and, I imagine, the city, can be peaceful places to be.

dave

6/10/05 12:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters