12.19.2005

Words I Don't Know: 'H'

Here are the words I did not know from my pocket-sized Webster's Dictionary until this morning that begin with the letter 'H':

harridan: a disagreeable old woman
hasp: a hinged metal fastener that fits over a staple
hawser: a cable used in mooring or towing a ship
heterodox: holding unorthodox opinions
hod: 1) a trough for transporting loads, as of bricks 2) a coal scuttle
hors de combat: out of action; disabled

And here for your amusement are 'H' words that I like to say out loud. For whatever reason:

haberdashery
haggard
hanker
harangue
harbinger
heckle
heinous
Hindi
hobble
holster
hopper
hubris
human
hunger
hydroplane

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger half said...

As one of my favorite college professors used to say, "Ya like the way your mouth moves when you say that?"

19/12/05 11:56  
Blogger k_sra said...

"That" "that"

No, not particularly. "That" is rather boring to say actually.

zutuy: any word that is funner to say than "that" .

19/12/05 13:04  
Blogger Girl said...

ah, hanker, well hankering anyway.
a favorite as well.

19/12/05 16:17  
Blogger gnomethang said...

I must be getting better - I knew all of those.

20/12/05 02:53  
Blogger half said...

Now, did I say "Ya like the way your mouth moves when you say 'that'?" No, I didn't think so.

Railroad crossing, watch out for cars...

20/12/05 11:04  
Blogger k_sra said...

gnome, did you look at the first list? My you are good!

20/12/05 12:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleased to say that the only one I did not know the meaning of was "hors de combat," and that's French, so it doesn't count!

21/12/05 09:38  
Blogger k_sra said...

The Dictionary was invented by a French man by the name of Étie Mologie. He was tragically burnt to a crisp in his bed on New Year's Eve when his library caught fire thanks to some naughty eggnog and a wandering ember.

myjiiuq: the pink panther's joke.

21/12/05 09:45  
Blogger gnomethang said...

Yup, Sozza! Particulrly the first list.
Out of order in French is 'Hors de Service'

24/12/05 19:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters