2.02.2005


Found this picture in the newspaper the other day. It reminded me of several things: laying on the floor in dance classes, giggling, asian babies and being a kid. See, as a secretary I could never do this at work. But inwardly I'm doing this kind of thing all day long. I'm twisting and spinning and rolling around on the inside. I have no dignity. Or rather I have the kind of majestic dignity that a kid has who has no regard for social norms or basic office propriety. Maybe that's why I liked teaching drama to eight year olds so well: I got paid to roll around on the floor. Anyways. I offer this image as a reminder that we are all allowed to play on the floor. In our spirits. Ok, no that sounded hokey. It's not about your inner child. It's about your outer childishness. Reminding your body that you don't have to sit upright in a swivel chair all day every day.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Worldgineer said...

I miss nap time. A few co-workers sleep at their desks at lunch, but that doesn't look terribly comfortable. Perhaps I'll store a blanket and pillow in one of my filing cabinets in case a strong desire for a floor nap comes along.

2/2/05 10:38  
Blogger Diane said...

Man. You are so right. I should play more. In my mind and with my body.

Damn, living should be fun.

2/2/05 22:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any suggestions as to how one might go about learning to enjoy life would be appreciated.

3/2/05 00:11  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

This blog's full of them. That's why I'm here.

3/2/05 11:24  
Blogger k_sra said...

Dear Anonymous,
(if that is your real name, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)
I am glad you asked you asked me that. There are many ways to go about enjoying life more.
Here is an easy two step life-enjoyment exercise that can be used absolutely anywhere:

1) Draw in a deep breath, so deep your rib cage hurts a little bit.
2) Say as loud as you can, "Bibbity, Bobbity, Boo!"
If nobody near you noticed and gave you a funny look go somewhere more crowded and try again.
I have never known this not to work.
Also, my other readers may have suggestions they would like to add. I'll ask them.
Sincerely,
k_sra

3/2/05 11:42  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

I heard this one about a year ago and liked it: Plant a garden in an unexpected public place. For instance, this guy could use some flowers between his feet. Start with just some dirt, a flower, and a watering pot.

3/2/05 11:56  
Blogger honest + popular said...

Sarcastic dancing is good, too. Also, yelling "snausages!" on a crowded bus. (A bit like K's bobbity boo.) Plus, I think it's good to spin around like a wild child if you're on a swivel chair. A partner at a law firm I worked at caught me doing this once and I have to say I'm not sorry and I'd do it again. (It was fun.)

3/2/05 12:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters