10.12.2005

Blogged Down, Rising


[editor's note: In a hopelessly tangled state of mind I open a page of blogger publishing to churn out (and it is churning, people, like the sea in storm) a post for the mass of readers who turn to this website for a daily dose of I-don't-know-what.]

I feel I should say something. Something monumentally imposing and dramatic, like, "I've decided to quit blogging for a while and pursue other dreams." But that's not quite true. I do want to quit blogging, just at the moment, because it's become something like work. In fact it feels more like work than it feels like fun, and since when do I promise to do what I no longer want to do (except love my neighbor, walk with dignity, accept misfortunes and enjoy every new thing)? Regardless of my despondent attitude toward the blog, it still retains its charms and is often that glimmering thing at the bottom of this dull world I have created for myself (my little bubble under water), but it won't suffice forever.

November is almost upon us. I have promised to write a novel in November. More accurately, I have promised myself that I will attempt to write a novel every November until I have actually written one. Judging from the pile of rubble that I heaped on an unsuspecting world last November, this may take more than one effort. Like breaking down a door with your shoulder; the first few hits count for nothing except bruises. A door, it turns out, is a surprisingly sturdy thing. Apparently, novels, like their wooden cousins, bear some striking similarities.

I'd rather fail at something I love than succeed at something I hate. Was it Woody Allen who said that? He was right to say so. I echo him now. If you hear the occasional rumbling volcano, It's me. I can't take much more of this status quo. But, for the moment, I will not Vesuvius all over the place. I have to figure out the all important what now before I can blow the top off of anything. But I will at some point come majorly undone (the way cables unwind from a bridge that is collapsing). Because my life is all safety and sunshine. Because it terrifies me to move away from safety. Because I know that I don't have courage enough for the dreams I am trying to reach. Because I need to terrify myself before I can figure out that failure's not so bad. Because bravery is really just faking it (bring me my brown pants) when you want so badly to run away. (Why can't we all be brave and strong?)

I hear it over and over again. It's becoming almost an everyday mantra from people I respect, people who's business it is to make such assessments. "Sarah, you have potential for greatness." I've always heard this phrase well-mixed with a million others, "Sarah, you're on my shoelace." "Sarah, you forgot to lock the door." "Sarah, you should become a comic." I didn't know I was supposed to pick that one out and make it happen. And the only way to achieve greatness is to forget what 'greatness' means and to work everyday to be the picture of yourself that you most want to be. I am a portrait of myself. Everyday. At this moment, I am not the portrait I wish to look at. So, I may fail. And you'll be there to watch me fail. But it's worth this much love at least: to run towards life yelling, "I'm gonna get you, Sucka!"

It's like Jojo says, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly."

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if this was coming...it seems to be going around.

If you should decide to go on sabbatical or retire from blogging, I will dearly miss you, but I understand. William Gibson has a similar policy for similar reasons (Put that comparison in your resume!)

12/10/05 11:09  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

You know my thoughts on this. Blog for yourself, not for us. If it feels like work, just don't do it. I'm quite amazed you've lasted this long, teaching us something new (almost) every day. When/if you get bored with life, come back and entertain us.

Please let us know when your first book comes out. Or we can just listen for the sound of wood splintering.

I think Blogger's word verification says is best: dilqeueh.

12/10/05 11:27  
Blogger Steve DeGroof said...

Why do I feel like holding up a lit cigarette lighter?

12/10/05 11:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(In no particular order.)

Write. Write. Write, read, read, read, read, read, write, write, read, read, watch a woody allen movie or go to the orchestra.

Repeat as necessary.

Dave

12/10/05 12:00  
Blogger Lukas Abrhm said...

well well.
joining yr sis, eh?
pining for the fjords?
what else floats in water? CHURCHES! CHURCHES!

i think ye shall be missed.
and i'm with steve.
rock on, sister.

12/10/05 12:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fwiw - we do greatly appreciate the work you do to keep us on-line with you. when the time comes to turn out the light, we'll still have that image in our mind's eye that stays there when you turn off the tv ... know what i mean? knowing of you for this brief time has been worthwhile - thanks! and if you decide to stay around awhile longer, we'll be here. and if not, grab that lunk of a brother of yours and come visit in east-central indiana for a spell - i'll buy the coffee.

12/10/05 15:20  
Blogger jj said...

I think we should talk about this.....

12/10/05 15:42  
Blogger k_sra said...

I'm not quitting the blog, per se. I will post as I deem convenient and funlike. The blog is only a repetitive part of a larger problem; lethargy. I doubt I could cold turkey the blog even if I wanted to.

12/10/05 15:48  
Blogger Steve DeGroof said...

//I will post as I deem convenient and funlike.//

"You Learn Something New Whenever I Damn Well Feel Like It"?

12/10/05 18:54  
Blogger El Fid said...

She's not leaving, boys. Cool yer heels. She just needs a mani and pedi and lo-lites.
K, this entry was less than funny, get back to werk!

Is the Eastland open after bellydancing? I'm so totally getting you a beer to cry into, next time.

12/10/05 22:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you gotta do what you gotta do. But, if we could still Learn Something New on a Bi-weekly Basis, that'd be cool. (Who am I to talk? I am the Queen of Not Updating.)

Go find your funny, and then Bring It On. Again.

12/10/05 22:39  
Blogger Saint Kansas said...

If you're going to be writing your novel in November, we'd better start recording your EP, like, right away, so it's not hanging over your head.

13/10/05 14:18  
Blogger Jinx said...

You could always shift the focus from the funny to the personal. Although I've been reading for a while, I'm not sure I actually know anything about you (which is totally your perogat...peragitiv...your choice)

13/10/05 14:21  
Blogger k_sra said...

Now see, that's what I call ironic; one reader wants MORE personal thoughts and reflections and another wants me to shut up and put up. HA!

You people are more demanding than a girlfriend. : )

14/10/05 08:08  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

Do you have those 3 song recordings for us yet?

14/10/05 09:34  
Blogger k_sra said...

No, not yet. Soon. : )

BTW, where's my random photo of the week, World?

14/10/05 10:02  
Blogger Steve DeGroof said...

//You people are more demanding than a girlfriend.//

Does this font make us look fat?

It's OK that your connection failed, we'll try again in a few minutes.

What are you thinking about?

If you don't know what you did wrong, we're not going to tell you.

There's this blog... We looked at it a couple times but we didn't bookmark it, honest. Don't look at me like that.

Maybe we should try reading other blogs.

Listen, we've been reading eclectic spaghetti for a while now...

Yes, eclectic spaghetti! It's nice to us and it's twice the blog you'll ever be! Oh, and just so you know, we bookmarked it months ago and it was hot! All that time you thought we were reading the news? Yeah, that's right. Twice, maybe three times a day. No connection failures there! No, sir!

Hey, don't look like that. We can still be friends, OK?

14/10/05 10:31  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

This week's somewhat random image. You've got to start somewhere.

14/10/05 10:56  
Blogger k_sra said...

Thanks, World. I'm gonna post the one you sent me... : )

14/10/05 11:24  
Blogger Beth said...

As someone who's been fervently trying to figure out "what's next" for nearly 36 years, I can say with assuredness that trying to answer that question is just a means to avoid action. I totally understand what you're going through: I try to figure it all out ahead of time, too. But you can't. None of us can. The understanding comes from the doing. You can't sit on the sidelines, waiting for the perfect time to join the game. By the time you get up the gumption, the game will be over. Just play.

15/10/05 08:54  
Blogger k_sra said...

Good point, Beth. I am realizing that more and more each day. My favorite quote of the moment is, "Say yes to life, even though you are certain it will devour you."

17/10/05 08:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters