6.01.2005

Let's Hear It For The Bloke


For all the women who can't get enough...

Seriously what is it with the British accent and the US ladies? Have we been brainwashed by Hollywood films where the aristocracy (and ironically, the villians) of every country are played by Brits? My sis was talking TV crushes last week and it got me thinking about my TV crushes. The earliest I can remember was for an actor in a Caramello ad. (Sorry I couldn't find a picture. It was some time ago.) He was rather nice looking, dark-haired guy with no spoken lines. (so I can't be sure what country he was from, but I believe Cadbury's is a British company. So there you go.) His only job as an actor was to enjoy that Caramello bar and damnit, he did!

Current TV crushes include one guy: Ed Sanders from Extreme Makeover Home Edition. "What?" I hear you say, "Not Ty-my abs-are-so-chiseled-I'm-probably-gay Pennington?" No, sadly, he does nothing for me. But Ed... dear lord! It's the accent, I'm telling you. And he's married, which is great! (For those who don't know, marriage only enhances a TV crush. It makes the actor appear more sincere and loving, etc, etc, and if they ever leave their wives, ratings drop like spring flowers.)

So is it just me or is there something in the broad range of UK accents that have some sort of magical appeal to US women? And if so, what so?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Oo, thankfully there aren't that many women in my office who are still single. So that British chap would be all mine.."my own, my precious". (sigh, swoon)

1/6/05 11:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timeframe: 1965...I was nine

TV reference: Shaving cream commercial, with a blonde woman with an accent (Swedish? German? I was only nine, what did I know?)saying "Take it off, take it all off". I LIKED her.

Reality strikes: A family from Germany moves in next door. The nine-year-old daughter is blonde, and has an accent. Oh, what a summer.

1/6/05 11:41  
Blogger El Fid said...

They're also so dangerously fashionable, unkempt and full of good manners and bad attitude.

1/6/05 19:48  
Blogger jj said...

hhhummmm -- interesting. This could be a good development, being a Brit myself. And being 'dangerously fashionable, TOTALLY unkempt and full of manners and attitude', I might just have to take a trip......

6/6/05 04:25  
Blogger k_sra said...

Oh, hurrah! I do hope grumpy will make a visit! : )

6/6/05 07:45  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

Hmmm... I wonder if the attraction of forign accents is a beneficial evolutionary trait, meant to mix genes with other populations.

6/6/05 09:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters