7.20.2005

The Well-Preserved Pickle

Did you know the pickle has been around since antiquity?

Did you know Napolean, Caesar and George Washington were all pickle enthusiasts?

Did you know Cleopatra attributed some of her beauty to pickles? (Although there's no telling which part.)

In the 13th century pickles were served as the main course at the feast of St. John.

Famous pickle quote: "On a hot day in Virginia, I know nothing more comforting than a fine spiced pickle, brought up trout-like from the sparkling depths of the aromatic jar below the stairs of Aunt Sally's cellar." - Thomas Jefferson

My personal favorite is the Pickle in a Bag found in the heart of New Orleans. Can't find a link, but did find someone giving them away as prizes. I feel that is apt.

Take some time to savor the history of the pickle.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pickle enthusiast. Pickle aficionado. I am both of these. I have joined the ranks of Napoleon, Caesar, and George Washington. But then again, I can't say I'm at all surprised.

I had no idea pickles had such a rich history. This has truly been a day for enriching my pickle trivia.

20/7/05 13:43  
Blogger k_sra said...

"Enrich your pickle!" could be my new slogan.

20/7/05 13:47  
Blogger Tara said...

I don't think I could get sick of pickles. I'm not crazy about the sweet pickles, but definitely the dill-type.

Lots of things are better when pickled. I have also heard from various sources that a guy named Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, but nobody knows how many pickled peppers Peter Piper truly picked if he picked a peck.

20/7/05 15:24  
Blogger k_sra said...

Everytime I scroll past this post I want a pickle.

22/7/05 15:34  
Blogger Tara said...

I do too, actually. That's some good visual marketing, Ksra.

22/7/05 15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters