8.01.2005

Noble Pursuits

I didn't mean to follow him home. It just kind of happened. Our paths converged despite my attempts to follow at a discreet distance. As he crossed the street toward me he raised his hand and shouted, "Hello, Sarah!" I fumbled with my cellphone trying to look preoccupied, but it didn't work. "Hello, Noble," I said. Green bag in hand, Noble stepped to the sidewalk where I was. His hat, as always, sitting on his gigantic glasses. "You never talk to me anymore," he said, by way of introduction. Startled, I began to retort, "That's not exactly true..." but he was still talking. "You can say 'hello' you know. If there's a seat open next to me, you can sit there." I stammered out the rest of my excuse which, like my frequent greetings to the old chap on the bus, went unheard. "We should be friends," he summarized, finally pausing long enough for my response. "Yes, we should be friends. I agree." I said, somewhat flatly. "You can sit by me on the bus if there is a seat free." It sounded like an order. "Well, thank you." What else could I say? And then of course he pressed the advantage, "Would you like to come up for tea or coffee? Just a cup..." I stammered out an excuse, "I promised my grandparents I would stop up to see them." It was a lie. "We're having dinner this evening and I promised I would come right after work..." Lies, lies, lies. Noble mulled over this new bit of information. "Your grandparents? Huh." I refrained from suggesting they might be about his age. Instead I reached for his hand and shook it in an attempt to be proactive. "It is good to see you, Noble," I said. And I meant it. Because it is good to see Noble. No matter how strangely he may behave or how many times he follows me off the bus.

"Good to see you, too!" And he was off to his building.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Worldgineer said...

Hah! Serves you right for following him. Now you'll have to sit next to him on the bus, and the next thing you know you'll be admiring his art (resisting temptation to put quotes around that).

The only way out of this that I can see is to make an even closer friend on the bus, whom you are obligated to sit next to.

1/8/05 12:20  
Blogger Steve DeGroof said...

You need to try fixing him up with a woman closer to (i.e. within shouting distance of) his own age. Two possible results to this: 1. He'll like her, in which case, he'll spend more time with her and won't be nearly as lonely. 2. He'll dislike her and will blame you for introducing them.

1/8/05 12:36  
Blogger k_sra said...

Assuming fifty years is not within shouting distance age-wise, what exactly is?

Worldgineer, I'll keep you posted on that.

1/8/05 12:42  
Blogger Steve DeGroof said...

Assuming fifty years is not within shouting distance age-wise, what exactly is?

What was the formula again? Divide by 2 and add 7 years? So, assuming he's 78, he should be looking for a 46-year-old.

1/8/05 20:00  
Blogger Lukas Abrhm said...

i think you oughta just ask him out. get it over with. lie to him to turn down tea...shame on you. you should say, "hey noble, wanna go catch a flick then get our collective crushgrooves on at a club? maybe we could share some ben & jerrys afterwards?"

yr smitten. smoted even.

1/8/05 21:48  
Blogger k_sra said...

NOOOOO! Lukas, I can't I can't! *shudder* Ben & Jerry's? Where do you come up with this stuff? : )

2/8/05 07:47  
Blogger Lukas Abrhm said...

probably because i'm the most unromantic person in the world...and it's beautiful.

fat ppl need love too!

2/8/05 08:38  
Blogger Flipsycab said...

He follows you. You follow him.
The new millenium relationship: mutual fascination safe stalking.

What more do you need? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2/8/05 11:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters