12.13.2008

A MERRY Scavenger Hunt, to One and All!

(wire man designed by Jamison, photo by k_sra)

Once a year we gather together with our families to celebrate this beloved season of Christmas. Every year I get a little glassy-eyed again over the story of Christ' birth, the intrepid journey of his parents to Bethlehem, the shepherds startled in the field, those three crazy wise men bringing gifts no child would want (OK, except maybe for the gold). All of it so mind-boggling, so unusual. And I sing Christmas carols that tell and retell the stories in four part harmony. I sing out Alleluias loud as I can, because in that moment, I too get to be an angel in a heavenly choir on a still cold winter night. I too, get to be the bearer of Good News. Christmas is and always will be a magical time for me. With or without Santa, with or without stockings, trees or candles. Christmas is a burnished eternal reminder that God was not too proud or too awesome to come be with us. Like a heavenly spy, He entered the humble domain of humanity and lived it so He could truly say, "I understand."

Perhaps you do not have a faith that leads you to the conclusion that there is a God, or perhaps your life lessons have led you to the conclusion that Jesus was merely a construct of organized religion and over-active imaginations. I respect that. My life lessons and my experiences have led me to be enthralled with the One I know loved me enough to take this journey by my side and who later sacrificed His experience so mine could be a better one.

This Christmas, the thought that makes my heart 'Merry' is Him, a man as God submitting to the humiliation of childbirth in a donkey's stall, wearing human skin and living in our presence and giving up His all for us so that we could truly live.

Merry Christmas!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger laura b. said...

Beautiful thoughts...thanks for sharing them.
I really like that little wire guy too.

13/12/08 18:59  
Blogger Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Very thought provoking post.. nicely done.. And can we get an Amen to that?

14/12/08 20:33  
Blogger NoRegrets said...

Merry Christmas to you too... Thank you.

14/12/08 21:16  
Blogger Churlita said...

I'd say that was the best, most enthusiastic Merry post I've read. I love passion in people. Merry Christmas to you too.

15/12/08 11:16  
Blogger Tara said...

A very Merry and blessed Christmas to you, Ksra. I loved that post.

If Jesus were a kid nowadays, I think the wise men would do well with offering him a golden Ipod. Where did they get off thinking frankincense and myre were good ideas?

15/12/08 21:59  
Blogger k_sra said...

Hey, Laura b, thanks. The wire guy was an art student's little creation, then gifted to me. I still have it! it still makes me smile.

Mrs. Hairy, "Amen!" hehehe. : )

NoRegrets, and a Happy New Year!

Churlita, I gotta respect enthusiasm, too. Especially when it comes from a place of true joy.

Tara, we can Fa-la-la-la-la together this Wednesday! Yay! I don't think the gifts were on Jesus' wish list. tsk.

16/12/08 10:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters